NEW DELHI: The Rashtriya Janata Dal on Friday approached the Supreme Court seeking a week’s extension of the September 1 deadline for filing objections and claims on behalf of voters.
Appearing for the RJD , advocate Prashant Bhushan told the court that nearly 80,000 claims were filed before the apex court’s August 22 order, and another 95,000 were submitted after the directive. The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the plea on Monday.
Earlier, Supreme Court expressed concern at the lack of political parties’ involvement in correcting names of voters deleted during the Special Intensive Revision ( SIR ) of electoral rolls in Bihar.
The top court also said that claim forms can be submitted along with Aadhaar card or any other 11 acceptable documents. "We will allow online submission of claims of deleted voters with Aadhaar card or any other acceptable documents for Bihar SIR," the bench said.
"All the political parties shall file the status report by the next date of hearing on the claim form they had facilitated in filing by excluded voters," the bench added.
During the hearing, the Election Commission informed the court that while 85,000 new voters have been added in the ongoing revision, only two objections had been filed by booth-level agents of political parties. A bench of Justices Surya Kant and Joymalya Bagchi resumed hearing a batch of petitions challenging the SIR exercise.
The petitions were filed by RJD MP Manoj Jha, the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR), PUCL, activist Yogendra Yadav, Trinamool Congress MP Mahua Moitra and former Bihar MLA Mujahid Alam.
The petitioners have sought to quash the ECI’s June 24 directive, which requires large numbers of voters in Bihar to submit proof of citizenship to stay on the rolls. What happened earlier On August 14, Election Commission uploaded details of 65 lakh deleted voters from Bihar’s draft electoral rolls on district magistrates’ websites, following a Supreme Court order.
Appearing for the RJD , advocate Prashant Bhushan told the court that nearly 80,000 claims were filed before the apex court’s August 22 order, and another 95,000 were submitted after the directive. The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the plea on Monday.
Earlier, Supreme Court expressed concern at the lack of political parties’ involvement in correcting names of voters deleted during the Special Intensive Revision ( SIR ) of electoral rolls in Bihar.
The top court also said that claim forms can be submitted along with Aadhaar card or any other 11 acceptable documents. "We will allow online submission of claims of deleted voters with Aadhaar card or any other acceptable documents for Bihar SIR," the bench said.
"All the political parties shall file the status report by the next date of hearing on the claim form they had facilitated in filing by excluded voters," the bench added.
During the hearing, the Election Commission informed the court that while 85,000 new voters have been added in the ongoing revision, only two objections had been filed by booth-level agents of political parties. A bench of Justices Surya Kant and Joymalya Bagchi resumed hearing a batch of petitions challenging the SIR exercise.
The petitions were filed by RJD MP Manoj Jha, the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR), PUCL, activist Yogendra Yadav, Trinamool Congress MP Mahua Moitra and former Bihar MLA Mujahid Alam.
The petitioners have sought to quash the ECI’s June 24 directive, which requires large numbers of voters in Bihar to submit proof of citizenship to stay on the rolls. What happened earlier On August 14, Election Commission uploaded details of 65 lakh deleted voters from Bihar’s draft electoral rolls on district magistrates’ websites, following a Supreme Court order.
You may also like
'Five priority sectors': MEA outlines PM Modi's Japan visit – Key outcomes
Sandeep Reddy Vanga meets Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, calls it 'an absolute honor'
Dutch Grand Prix session halted after Lance Stroll destroys Aston Martin in huge crash
Get Metal Gear Solid Delta from Argos for less than £45 with online only deal
Mumbai police extends permission to Jarange-Patil's agitation at Azad Maidan